How to Declare Major or Minor

Declaring your Major/Minor and Staying in Briggs

  • Fill out the Major/Minor declaration form in person in East 27 Holmes Hall or online. You will get email confirmation of the action within 2 business days.
    • At this time you will be given the contact information for your coordinate major advisor, who you will now work with in addition to your Briggs advisor. It is recommended that you meet with your coordinate major advisor at least once a year.

Changing your Major and Leaving Briggs

To change to Exploratory Preference

Students who would like to change their major to Exploratory Preference can request the major change by completing the online form.

To change to another major in a different college

  1. First, meet with the academic advisor for your intended major to review the major, completed coursework, remaining requirements, and any additional admission requirements for that major. That advisor will put a note in your file approving the major change or requiring more information. 
  2. Then complete the online Leaving Briggs form.
  3. Last, you will receive an exit survey via email. You must complete this before your major is released.  The data collected is part of a research project so we can better serve our students. 

Please note that the major changes/declarations (above) are not complete until you complete the steps and get confirmation.

Changing your Major into Briggs

  • Prospective MSU students must declare ‘Lyman Briggs’ on their application in the admissions portal.
  • Lyman Briggs does not accept Major changes into Briggs once a student has started at MSU.