This section summarizes information about review of academic specialists [teaching]. It includes the forms each candidate under review fills out, directions for the candidate, directions for the review committees, and MSU's general information on the review processes. Any candidate with questions about the process should consult their supervisor, an Associate Dean, or the Dean.
Table of employment categories and ranks
This page summarizes the different types of academic appointments available within LBC and points to relevant web resources
Faculty Evaluation Procedures in Lyman Briggs College
This document describes the annual and RPT evaluation processes and states the criteria used in all reviews of teaching by faculty or academic specialists.
Criteria and Procedures for Review of Academic Specialist [Teaching]
This document describes general criteria and procedures used in LBC for review of Academic Specialists [teaching] for reappointment or promotion within the continuing system.
Information for Candidates
- Interim Dean Largent's 2018-19 Charge to Review Candidates
- Dean Simmons' article on nominating external evaluators
- Briggs Specialist Review Candidate Checklist
- Briggs Candidate Seminar Guidelines
- Briggs Candidate Form C Guidelines
- Briggs Review Candidate Teaching Portfolio Guidelines
Information for Promotion Review Committees
The PRC committee reviews a single candidate for reappointment, promotion to continuing status, or promotion to senior specialist. It is composed of one HPS and one STEM faculty member from Briggs plus one additional member from the side of LBC in which the candidate primarily teaches.
- Dean Simmons' 2017-18 Charge to Specialist Promotion Review Committees
- Briggs PRC Teaching Evaluation Guidelines
MSU Information for [Continuing System] Academic Specialist (Teaching) Candidates for Reappointment, Continuing Status, or Promotion Review
This information pertains to reviews of academic specialists appointed within the continuing system. An initial probationary appointment is punctuated by a reappointment review, and then capped by review for achieving continuing status. Promotion to the rank of "senior specialist" is also covered by this information.
- MSU Academic Specialist Recommendation Form
- MSU Academic Specialist Handbook
- Appendix to the Handbook, summarizing roles and advancement within the continuing system
To access faculty information, please click the appropriate header above. To contact the college for help navigating this page, please click here.