ADVISING > Meeting with an Advisor
The Lyman Briggs Academic and Student Affairs Office strives to provide an open and welcoming environment for our students as an entry into the MSU community. We work to educate, coach and support you to think critically about your decisions and goals.
Academic Advising is a partnership between you and your Academic Advisor. It is an ongoing conversation that goes beyond course selection. It encompasses major and career selection, personal pursuits and academic goals. Our goal is to assist you as you explore the curriculum, experience college life, and prepare for life after college.
You can expect your ACADEMIC ADVISOR to:
- Communicate with you to understand your goals
- Understand the curriculum and university policies & procedures
- Refer you to experts in the field or resources across campus
- careers, counseling, study abroad, tutoring, extracurricular activities, etc.
- Assist you with evaluating and re-evaluating) your academic and graduation goals
- Coach you to be competitive in your chosen field
- Maintain confidentiality (read FERPA for Students)
Your Academic Advisor will expect that YOU:
- Be prepared; arrive on time, have questions written down, keep documents together and review your yearly objectives
- Keep your contact information up-to-date
- Be courteous; cancel your appointment if you canâ€™t make it
- Make an appointment at least once a year
- Be open to suggestions that are based on your interests, strengths and goals
Stay on Track for Graduation—Review the Yearly Objectives
To return to the main current students page, please click here.